The Mill is open for the 2018 season! Come visit Thursdays - Saturdays, 10:00 am - 4 pm. We appreciate your support very much.
A brief history.
Farwell's was established by O.J. Farwell in 1873 and further operated by his two sons in conjunction with the development of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad. The general store and grain mill provided agricultural access between northern farms and central Maine ports. The mill closed its doors in the early 1960s, shortly before the passing of O.J. Jr., "Dick" Farwell, the last surviving member of the family. Dick Farwell had no living heirs, but his legacy lives on in his many generous acts, among them a trust to the town to defray taxes for the poor. • Shortly, the railroad ceased to run through Thorndike, and the rest of the shops soon closed their doors. A village that had supported a department store, a cheese factory, a car dealership, two general stores, two grain mills, a lumber mill, a cobbler and an inn quickly got quiet.